My Thoughts on Modesty

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Modesty.. the term itself is often misused. And so often when someone says 'I like to dress modestly' the first thing that comes to the hearer's mind is 'Ohhhh, so this person is someone who dresses like they're from the early 1900's. A person who uses tons of unneeded layers'. Personally, I think that modesty can be the most beautiful, feminine, and delicate looking of all types of dressing.
                                                              via pinterest
 
Fashion is something I never really got into. It's just over the past year that I've actually started buying some of my own clothes, I observe how different people from different countries and backgrounds dress, sometimes it's appalling and other times it's lovely and cute. One person that I really enjoy how she dresses is Kate Middleton. Her dresses are soo beautiful and simple yet elegant. I would love to show some people that dressing modestly can be so easy and elegant in contrast to the common thought that it's stuffy and ugly. 

Why do I dress modestly? I've got asked soo many times: "Why do you wear skirts almost all the time?" Well, for a long time it was just 'because my Mom wants me to'. But now it's gotten to the point where I've thought it over and my answer is: I feel it's the right thing to do for a young lady who is following Christ. We'll never know how much it helps a guy if we girls dress modestly, but it does.. believe me, it does help!!. And I don't want to be what the Bible calls a 'stumbling block' to other believers. 
                                                           via pinterest

What are my standards? I don't have like a paper with all my standards written on it. I just usually judge by sight if it's too tight or too short or too showy. To be honest, I like bright colors. I've been told that bright colors fit my complexion. So I like red, orange (occasionally), and just stand out colors are really fun! But, really.. it doesn't matter what my standards are. You are the one who sets your standards.. or maybe at this point, it's your parents that set the standards. 

                                                                  Just a couple pictures :) 
This was taken a while ago.. last year, i believe.

I had to put this one on.. I love lace, people!! It's just something I love :) This was taken just about a week ago. 

What do you think of modesty? I hope you aren't offended by this post, it definitely is not my intention to offend anybody! Oh, also, if any of you are still interested in a 'how I fix my hair' tutorial would you please let me know in the comments. And I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week. I'm actually going camping tomorrow.. looking forward to it, I've never gone camping before :)





11 comments:

  1. I think I dress a little more loosely than the other girls in the Christian blogosphere. Part of it is because I go to public school (but that doesn't mean I'm risque or anything.) I own a skater skirt (although I certainly wear shorts under it and pull it down some; heaven help me if I don't!) and I have a tendency to like black tank tops and jeans shorts that come halfway up the thigh (especially since it's summer). Just in general I like wearing clothes that allow me to move easily while still keeping up with the trends AND being modest. It's kind of a hard balance, especially finding shorts that are long enough for me to have a clear conscience, but hopefully I'm glorifying God in everything I wear :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rcubed! Thanks for commenting. As I responded to the comment below: the topic of modesty does raise a lot of controversy. And many of my friends actually don't dress like I do, but I don't judge them at all. They have to make their standards by what God is convicting them to wear and how to wear it. I'm definitely not called upon to make the standards for them, and I'm very glad for that! I think though that if you go against what you think God is telling you to do.. that does not please Him at all, and I think it's wrong. ~Chloe

      Delete
  2. Ah, modesty... That word is [almost always] used [by the "world"] for the wrong reason/meaning. Thanks so much for posting this. A Bible study group I'm in just finished a discussion regarding modesty, and I learnt so much. :]

    Oh and yes, we are the ones who set the standards. *gotta remember that* ><

    ~Natasha
    thestoryofthisgirlslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Natasha! I think the topic of modesty raises a lot of controversy. But I enjoy discussing it!

      ~Chloe

      Delete
  3. Great post Chloe! I love hearing what my blogging friends have to say about this in a whole post!

    I would love to know about 'how you fix your hair'!

    Cassie
    Calico Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you don't mind a guy sticking his two bits' worth into this conversation ;) but I've always thought a lot of it has to do with the carriage and attitude of the wearer. I've seen girls in ankle long skirts and shirts that were trying to "swing it" and act flirty, and then I know other girls that wear those retro shorts and lacy tops and they just look stylish, you know, not like they're trying to look like a street walker. Plus here in the South, it's hit and humid and most girls wear shorter skirts and shorts because it is just waaay too hot otherwise. Just sayin' :) Liked your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated your comment. Yes, I live in the south.. it's very hot and humid!!!!! I agree whole heartedly.. girls can act very immodestly while wearing long skirts. It depends on the attitude of the person. A girl can look modest in a pair of jeans too, it's the inward attitude that comes out when a girl walks and talks and the things she chooses to wear as well.

      Delete
  5. What about makeup? It is modest? I know some girls who wear makeup even when I think they're too young for that, even though they're in high school. I personally think that if a girl wears makeup, it means she's giving a signal to men that she's available. I'm concerned about older men being attracted, you know. And there was also a guy who told me to wear makeup, even though I think I don't need any (makeup is not a necessity to survive). It seems that girls are pressured to dress up for men, don't you think? Although a person I admire says that makeup can be used to honour yourself. I get that argument too. When you look good, people respect you. So modesty is something us girls have to understand.

    www.thestarryeyeddreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Whimsical Youngster. Thank you for your comment! I'm considering doing a post on makeup, and my thoughts about it. I think makeup can be modest and beautiful, it also can be very bold and unattractive and yes, immodest.
      I hope you keep reading my blog! ~Chloe

      Delete
    2. No, prob! I love your blog! It's so cheerful and positive, and very beautiful too! The design is so cute! :D

      www.thestarryeyeddreamer.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. Great post Chloe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!! Please keep them clean and have a wonderful day!!!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS